Re: I didn't send the virus

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 11:29:17 CDT

    Doug wrote...

    > This didn't come from me.

    Indeed, it didn't come from Doug. And it has been removed from the
    archives as well.

    FYI... We have some software in place on Unicode.ORG to assist with
    filtering of attachments. However, we pass through ".zip" files because
    many of us who work with proposals and such need to be able to receive them
    on a regular basis. Viruses attached as ".zip" files do occasionally get
    through if they just happen to have forged return addresses belonging to
    list subscribers. (The list filters out mail from non-subscribers anyway.)
    It's fairly rare but it does happen. And I am always gratified to see a
    flood of bounces back from subscriber's systems objecting to the viral
    content when one does go through. Many of you never see these viruses.

    Cheers,
            Rick