Re: Much better Latin-1 keyboard for Windows

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 10:40:10 CDT

    Mark Davis wrote:

    > In practice, the keyboards I have seen with an additional level
    > generally need and use a pair of additional levels. The issue is that
    > if a lowercase character x is on a level, then you want to be able to
    > get the uppercase version of it X by using that same level plus a
    > shift key. So in practice you end up with plain, plain+shifted,
    > alternate, alternate+shifted.

    Keyboards that follow this peculiar requirement of ISO 9995 (three
    levels but not four) pay a penalty when there are too many letters
    (accented or otherwise) to fit in Levels 1 and 2, and the national
    custom is *not* to use combining dead keys. Either the capital and
    small versions of a letter must be on different keys within the same
    level (Polish puts đ at AltGr+S and Đ at AltGr+D) or the capital letter
    is not assigned to a key at all (Italian has è and é but not È or É,
    which forces users to type E' when starting a sentence with "It is").

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/