Re: Warenzeichen

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 22:33:25 CDT

    Jörg Knappen <knappen@uni-mainz.de> wrote:

    > The following letterlike symbol is still missing from UNicode:
    >
    > Warenzeichen
    >
    > looks like "Encircled Wz" -- the circle is actually an ellipse.
    > Usage: In german dictionaries and lexika it is used to denote words
    > which are registered marks by some owners. This usage is still
    > flowering.
    >
    > I remember that the symbol was also used in advertisements once, but
    > it is replaced by the more fashionable REGISTERED SIGN or TRADEMARK
    > SIGN in this field.
    >
    > The symbol occurs in the private use area of MS Reference Sans Serif
    > and MS Reference Serif in the PUA position U+F7BF.

    I would have sworn I'd seen this mentioned before, and someone had
    presented a reason not to encode it.

    It certainly seems to me to be a reasonable candidate. As I recall,
    Warenzeichen is a somewhat different legal concept from trademark and
    registered trademark.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/