Combining across markup? (Was: RE: sign for anti-neutrino - gree k nu with diacritical line aboveworkaround ?)

From: Mike Ayers (mike.ayers@tumbleweed.com)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 12:30:02 CDT

            Hmmm... Don't want to start a war, but I do have to ask.

            Isn't this correct behavior? Doesn't the code above explicitly
    separate the two codepoints to prevent them from being rendered as a
    sequence? I mean, if I wanted to display nu, then macron, without combining
    behavior, wouldn't this be one way to do it? Combining across markup seems
    counterintuitive (and a violation of layering) to me.

            Thanks,

    /|/|ike