Re: Combining across markup?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 04:35:40 CDT

    At 10:19 +0100 2004-08-11, saqqara wrote:
    >This is one example where colour support in fonts would be useful. A useful
    >addition to the OpenType specifications if any readers here have influence
    >on such matters.

    Out of scope. You can use markup to make characters red.

    >Something I have a vested interest in with my own focus on Ancient Egyptian
    >Hieroglyphs.

    Budge used to print a solid black line over red Coffin text and the like.

    The answer to the original question about black a with red macron is:

    You cheat, just like they did in the good old days of lead type. For
    that matter, just as they did when they had to put down one pen and
    pick up another.

    You can't expect the encoding to colour elements of precomposed glyphs.