Re: [mo/mol] and [ro/ron/rum]

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 12:38:01 CDT

    On 13/08/2004 23:16, Peter Constable wrote:

    >>From: Peter Kirk [mailto:peterkirk@qaya.org]
    >>

    >>But what do the users of the language(s) say about this?
    >>

    >That isn't answering my question, which was about IT implementations. ...

    Well, users of the language are also potentially users of IT
    implementations. And if they want to make a distinction between Moldovan
    and Romanian and the IT application does not allow them to do so, they
    will be unhappy.

    >... Given your further comment,
    >

    >>Unicode has dug itself into a deep enough hole already this week...
    >>It should be careful to listen to users from small countries
    >>rather than impose on them a western guess...
    >>

    >looks an awful lot like a rant that has little to do with this topic.
    >After all, the question asked has nothing directly to do with the
    >Unicode Consortium, UTC or the Unicode Standard: ISO 639 is wholly an
    >ISO standard.

    If "the question asked has nothing directly to do with the Unicode
    Consortium, UTC or the Unicode Standard", why was it asked on this list?
    By asking it here, you made the connection yourself, Peter. But I
    assumed there was a link here to CLDR which, if I remember correctly,
    uses these codes.

    >... If there is a strongly-felt distinct cultural identity,
    >then there may be grounds to consider there to be two different
    >languages (cf Serbo-Croatian).

    This was my point. You need to find out if there is such a strongly-felt
    distinction, and the way to find this is not by asking this list but by
    asking Moldovans, and Romanians. You could start with their US embassies.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)