Re: [mo/mol] and [ro/ron/rum]

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 05:58:09 CDT

    On 20/08/2004 01:34, Michael Everson wrote:

    >> > I would use Moldavian for text written in Soviet-era Cyrillic.

    > It is unlikely that Soviet Moldavian was spared the importation of
    > Russian vocabulary and abbreviations (kolkhoz and the like), so there
    > would be more than just a script difference.

    It is unlikely that these imported words dropped out of use exactly when
    the the script was changed to Latin. From my experience of a similar
    situation in Azerbaijan, I would expect that many loan words from
    Russian (more likely good Russian words like stol = table or samolyot =
    aeroplane, less often Soviet era abbreviated jargon like kolkhoz) are
    still used in Latin script Moldovian today. And this is very likely one
    of the main continuing dialect differences between Moldovian and Romanian.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)