RE: [mo/mol] and [ro/ron/rum]

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 19:34:25 CDT

    At 17:22 -0700 2004-08-19, Peter Constable wrote:

    > > >OK. For managing language resources, what ID should one use?
    >>
    > > I would use Moldavian for text written in Soviet-era Cyrillic.
    >
    >Since the language did not significantly change, that would amount to
    >make the distinction between ro and mo a script distinction, which is
    >out of scope for ISO 639 and probably not the best idea (though it is
    >one possibility I mentioned to JAC members).

    It is unlikely that Soviet Moldavian was spared the importation of
    Russian vocabulary and abbreviations (kolkhoz and the like), so there
    would be more than just a script difference.

    I would use Moldavian for text written in Soviet-era Cyrillic.

    This is not the same thing as Cyrillic-written Romanian from the 19th
    or previous centuries, though.