[mo/mol] and [ro/ron/rum]

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 15:08:15 CDT

    ISO 639 has separate entries for Moldavian (alpha2 = mo) and Romanian
    (alpha2 = ro). Moldavian was an artificially-constructed distinction
    created by the Soviet-backed administrations - an attempt at language
    engineering that failed. This included introduction of Cyrillic script
    in Moldova, but that country has reverted to use of Latin script. Every
    indication I have seen is that there is no language distinction between
    Moldavian and Romanian.

    The question on which I'd like feedback is this: if the identifiers for
    Moldavian in ISO 639 were to be deprecated, would there be any negative
    impact on IT applications?

    To fill in the details, the deprecated IDs would not be removed from the
    standard or made available for re-assignment; it would be like
    deprecation of a character in Unicode: it's still there with the same
    semantics, but the best-practice recommendation is not to generate it.

    Peter

    Peter Constable

    Microsoft Windows Division