Re: CYRILIC CAPITAL/SMALL LETTER PE WITH DESCENDER

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 10:09:17 CST

    Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 08:12 -0700 2004-09-28, Eric Muller wrote:
    >
    >> It seems that Abkhaz, written in Cyrillic, uses a PE WITH DESCENDER,
    >> but I can't find this case pair in Unicode. I am missing something,
    >> or do we need to encode those?
    >

    > U+04A6, U+04A7 are used in Abkhaz for that sound, I believe.

    Isn't it problematic to have the distinction between (MIDDLE) HOOK and
    DESCENDER for GHE (494/4F6), KA (4C3/49A) and arguably EN (4C7/4C9) but
    not for PE?

    That being said, I am not trying to beat the master of disunification
    8-) If we agree that 4A6/7 is it, then we need at least an annotation
    "can be rendered with a descender instead of a hook", or may be go all
    the way for a change of the representative glyph to use a descender,
    since that is the form used in both D&B and in the Abkhaz font.

    Thanks,
    Eric.