Re: Sample of german -burg abbreviature

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sat Oct 02 2004 - 00:39:50 CST

    On 2004.10.02, 00:30, Kenneth Whistler <kenw@sybase.com> wrote:

    > the *obvious* alternative:
    >
    > U+0367 COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER U
    <...>
    > you just design a ligature in it to represent the sequence
    > <0062, 0367, 0067>.

    This seems indeed the best way to go (IMOVVHO), *if* the said squiggle
    is indeed an "u". If not, as I suspect, but rather an all-purpose mark
    to differentiate similar letters (like the already mentioned German
    use of a U+016D-looking glyph for handwritten lowercase "u", otherwise
    identical to "n" -- note also that the orginal post mentioned that the
    abbreviation "bg" is added this mark when meaning "-burg", while "bg"
    alone means "-berg"), then the solution should be different, possibly
    using some kind of breve (double, single, combining, zero-width, what
    not).

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    PT-1___-___ LISBOA Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |