Re: Grapheme clusters

From: James Kass (jameskass@att.net)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 01:13:00 CST

    Chris Harvey wrote,

    > I'm working on a language which uses grapheme clusters (e.g. or ).
    >
    > The speakers want it so these clusters are treated as single "letters" in
    > character counts as well as for backspacing. So a word like "kwang" could
    > be deleted with three backspace keystrokes.

    Does the written language use upper and lower case? If so, would the word
    "kwang" be capitalized "Kwang" or "KWang"?

    > The users seem determined to put the entire alphabet into the PUA, thus
    > making a single character for , , etc. I would like to be
    > able to present them with something that works and avoid this kind of
    > catastrophe.

    (Interesting how my ISP's "WebMail" is dropping the material which was in
    angle brackets, even though I'm replying in plain text.)

    If your users wanted to change their orthography (probably a big IF), they
    could use single characters like the ENG for "ng" and maybe the "ij ligature"
    for "ii".

    Best regards,

    James Kass