Re: Grapheme clusters

From: Chris Harvey (chris@languagegeek.com)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 10:09:24 CST

    Ysgrifennodd Christopher Fynn <cfynn@gmx.net> ar y 05-10-2004 am 10:42:

    > It would of course be possible to have these pair combinations replaced
    > by a single ligature glyphs using the "locl" feature in OpenType under a
    > specific language tag.

    Are ligatures what I’m looking for? The letters of the consonant cluster
    like "kw" are not joined together visually in any way. Also, when I use
    OpenType for ligatures like ffi st etc. the parts of the ligature are
    deleted one at a time. I think the UAX#29 or UAX#28 discusses the
    differences between grapheme clusters and ligatures.

    > Is there a locale setting for this language? - Many applications now
    > automatically tag documents with the current input locale.

    There is no locale setting. The Native American language has a very small
    speaker base.

    > You can tell these people that the PUA is no real solution since you can
    > get some very unexpected glyphs displayed for PUA characters. (Microsoft
    > Windows automatically maps a bunch of non-BMP CJK characters to PUA
    > codepoints and sometimes these will display instead of the glyphs in
    > your font.

    In fact, I have been continuously sending them lists of all the reasons
    not to use PUA, the CJK problem being only one of many. The problem is,
    they feel the PUA solves their two biggest issues, backspacing the
    clusters and collation, without realising that a whole new and bigger
    batch of problems arises.

    Thanks,

    Chris Harvey

    --