Re: bit notation in ISO-8859-x is wrong

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 00:01:07 CST

    James Kass <jameskass at att dot net> wrote:

    > Most people begin counting with one, although in the recent
    > past some computer technicians have begun to begin counting
    > with zero. This is bound to cause problems and discrepancies.

    (Begun to begin?)

    The common wisdom seems to be that software people start counting at
    zero, while hardware people start counting at one. Bits certainly
    belong to both worlds, and as one can see by reading Mackenzie's 1980
    book, so do coded character sets.

    > January the first is not the second day of the year.

    But it can be the second day of the first ISO 8601 week of the year, if
    it falls on a Tuesday. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

    The bit notation in ISO 8859-x is perfectly correct in the context of
    its own definition. It's not the way I would have done it, though.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/