Re: Egyptological Transliteration Characters

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 07:15:37 CST

    saqqara wrote at 1:42 AM on Tuesday, October 19, 2004:

    >Michaels proposal for three egyptological transliteration characters
    >(with upper and low case versions, 6 characters in all)has been around
    >for some years. See http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2241.pdf.
    >
    >There was a short discussion on the topic on this list over a year ago.
    >
    >I have no doubt as that this is useful to the user community and now
    >there is better Unicode support creeping out in applications, seems to me
    >the time is ripe for this to be put to UTC for a decision on inclusion.
    >
    >These characters have been in use for over a hundred years in published
    >work on the subject and it would be good to be done with the font hacking
    >approach.
    >
    >Any real problems from the generalists here? Thought I'd post here before
    >canvassing same in the subject interest groups.

    My take on Egyptian transliteration characters.

    * Alef
    Both small and capital forms should be encoded.

    * Yod
    The proposed characters are already covered by:
    1EC8 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH HOOK ABOVE
    1EC9 LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH HOOK ABOVE

    * Ayin
    Both Egyptian and Semitic transliterations commonly use the left single
    quotation mark to transliterate ayin, with Egyptian sometimes exhibiting
    a glyphic, i.e. font, variant. I submit that small transliteration ayin
    is already covered by one of the following Unicode characters, requiring
    us only to encode a corresponding capital form of the character:
    2018 LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
    02BD MODIFIER LETTER REVERSED COMMA
    02BF MODIFIER LETTER LEFT HALF RING
    02C1 MODIFIER LETTER REVERSED GLOTTAL STOP

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project