Re: not font designers?

From: Edward H. Trager (ehtrager@umich.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 09:24:46 CST

    On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 08:27:48AM -0800, E. Keown wrote:

    > Elaine Keown
    > Seattle
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Supposedly this list has >600 people.
    >
    > Just of curiosity, how many of you are NOT font
    > designers?

    I am also not a font designer by trade.

    > And are any of your corpus linguists, text database
    > people, or maybe database designers?

    I am a bioinformatics programmer and database programmer
    in a genetics research lab. My original interest in Unicode stemmed
    from the fact that I studied Chinese in school and spent some
    years in several countries in Asia, including China and Thailand.

    Understanding and applying Unicode (especially UTF-8) and W3C (XHTML,
    XML, CSS, ...) standards has most definitely allowed us to
    write more powerful and flexible applications in the labs
    where I work. I am often surprised when
    I meet other programmers --both those fresh out
    of school and veterans-- who don't have a clue about Unicode. Unicode
    and internationalization should be required courses for kids studying
    Computer Science these days ...

    I suspect that there is probably a lot of occupational diversity
    among the members of this list.

    - Ed Trager
      Kellogg Eye Center, Ann Arbor