Re: not font designers?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 15:10:27 CST

    At 12:42 -0800 2004-11-08, D. Starner wrote:

    >That's sheer hubris.

    It's a result of long experience in these matters.

    >It's a classifaction scheme; if there are reasonable people who
    >would unify and reasonable people who would seperate, then there is
    >no right and wrong, there's only a choice to be made, which can
    >neither be completely correct or completely wrong.

    Quite honestly, the people who would unify have not been particularly
    reasonable. Only now is one of them coming around to accept the
    taxonomy we have used in approaching the task of encoding all the
    world's writing systems, and even then, he's suggesting that
    informative text in the standard about that taxonomy is more
    important than getting the job done.

    Encoding Phoenician should have been a great pleasure, a celebration
    of heritage. Alas it was a bitter exercise in damage control.