Re: utf-8 and unicode fonts on LINUX

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 07:45:34 CST

    On 22/11/2004 12:38, kefas wrote:

    >2. Linux is able to install MS-character sets:
    >Can you tell me what parameters I ave to provide for
    >the Arial Unicode MS font
    >xset asks for a font.dir with parameters like:
    >bwhebb.ttf panose-1:2 2 6 3 5 4 5 2 3 4;
    > mso-font-charset:0;
    > mso-generic-font-family:roman;
    > mso-font-pitch:variable;
    > mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;

    bwhebb.ttf is another legacy encoded Hebrew font, although this one is
    encoded with Unicode characters U+0020 to U+00F6 plus 2010, 201A, 201E,
    2219, rather than with PUA characters. But many of these characters are
    intended as non-spacing marks. So don't expect it to work well with any
    modern software which expects these code points to correspond to spacing
    characters. And don't try to use it in web pages, as this probably won't
    work.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)