Re: My Querry

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 20:56:27 CST

    Antoine Leca scripsit:

    > Sorry, no: there is no requirement to clear it.
    > You are assuming something about the way data are handled. When you handle
    > ASCII data using octets, you can perfectly, and conformantly, keep some
    > other "data" (being parity or whatever) inside the 8th bit; so with even
    > parity AT SIGN will be managed as 192, without any kind of problem (for
    > you).

    Indeed, the DEC PDP-8 stored ASCII data with the high bit always set, for
    compatibility with the way in which ASR-33 Teletypes generated ASCII.
    So I grew up thinking of 'A' as 301 (octal). I believe that PR1ME
    computers did this too.

    --
    But you, Wormtongue, you have done what you could for your true master.  Some
    reward you have earned at least.  Yet Saruman is apt to overlook his bargains.