CGJ , RLM

From: kefas (pmr@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 06:02:00 CST

    1. U+034F CGJ, Combining Grapheme Joiner, is
     displayed as a tall rectangle in MSKLCexe-test and as
     a capital square in OutlookExpress A͏E a͏e͏a͏e. But
     CGJ "has no visible glyph"! Thus CGJ is not
     implemented correctly in Arial Unicode MS. Or are the
     editors not implemented correctly? Should A+CGJ+E
     yield the Danish double letter a+(e-attached) ? Or
     do I hope in vain.

    Is there a general rule how graphically to join 2
     arbitrary characters? Normal tf looks already joined
     to me, and causes me problems of recognizing t and f
     as distinct letters. (I have astigmatism: cyl -3.0,
     which is not that rare) m and rn look the same from
     normal reading distance!. Some editors / some fonts
     display an m with uneven spacing of legs, which looks
     to me as if r+n is written. Any help in planning (you
     font-designers)?

    2. RLM, the Right to Left marker, seems to have no
     effect yet. Hebrew bet+RLM+SPace should leave the
     Cursor at Left and not 'jump' to the right of bet as
     it does for good or worse for bet+SP. If this is a
     correct expectation, then how can I tell (e.g. via
     MSKLC.exe) to insert RLM+SPace on CAPS+SPace ?

    ̂̂
    Is there a new (beta-test) version of the font Arial
     Unicode MS where this and other inconsistencies are
     repaired? Or do I need newer editor-versions.

    I used Outlook eXpress 6.0 to compose this message
    and send it via KMail from a Linux-PC

    Peter