Re: CGJ , RLM

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 15:46:51 CST

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > If I want to encode explicit ligatures for the "ffi" cluster, if it is
    > not hyphenated, I need to add ZWJ:
    > "ef"+ZWJ+SHY+"f"+ZWJ+"i"+SHY+"ca"+SHY+"ce" (1)

    Great Scott! You can use ZWJ to suggest a ligation opportunity, and SHY
    to suggest a hyphenation opportunity, but if you need to suggest both
    within the same word, let alone *between the same pair of letters*, you
    have probably stepped over the plain-text line.

    > I am not sure if the string coded as (1) above has the expected
    > behavior, including for collation where it should still collate like
    > the unmarked word "efficace"...

    Collation is supposed to ignore formatting-type marks. In my copy of
    allkeys.txt, which may not be the latest, ZWJ is Completely Ignorable
    and CGJ is Level 3 Ignorable, so (1) should collate as you expect.

    Perhaps a better question to ask would be why you need to indicate both
    hyphenation points and ligation points in text that is going to be
    collated.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/