RE: Ligatures

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 19:08:41 CST

    I suppose one could construct such a list, but using them to encode text is a Very Bad Idea. It is better, for example, to encode the "fi" ligature as the letter "f" followed by the letter "i" and let rendering software, fonts, and so forth provide the ligature. Encoding ligatures directly will make your life harder. For example, most spell checkers will fail the word "final" when it is spelled U+FB01 U+006E U+0061 U+006C (that is, fi-ligature followed by "nal"). If you are constructing a font, there are lots of good links on the Unicode website which include information on how to handle ligation without having a code point for every combination of characters you ligate.

    I haven't time to write a good quality response right now, but no doubt someone will jump in with 37 pages of text about the small amount I've already written (please excuse my sarcasm, which isn't directed at you).

    PS> Flarn isn't the reference I think it is, is it?

    Best Regards,

    Addison

    Addison P. Phillips
    Director, Globalization Architecture
    http://www.webMethods.com

    Chair, W3C Internationalization Working Group
    http://www.w3.org/International

    It is not a feature.