RE: current version of unicode-font

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 07:32:32 CST

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:10:37 +0200, "Cristian Secarã" wrote:

    > On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 07:51:42 -0800, Peter Constable wrote:
    >
    > > Microsoft has never used the label 'OpenFont' for this or any of the
    > > fonts that ship with their products.
    >
    > However, the .ttf fonts that ship with their products are showing an OT
    > icon. I don't know how it's done technically.

    Because Arial Unicode MS includes OpenType tables, and is thus technically an
    OpenType font.

    OpenType is a font technology, and does not imply that any such font is free and
    open source -- since when did "open" ever mean "free" anyway ?

    The original term mentioned in this thread, "OpenFont" does not exist (other
    than as a programming method in certain APIs), and so, as Peter rightly pointed
    out, OpenFont does not apply to Arial Unicode MS or any Microsoft font or any
    font that I know of.

    Andrew