RE: proposals I wrote (and also, didn't write)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 15:53:08 CST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On Behalf
    > Of E. Keown

    > In the so-called 'deprecated' block, the 2nd Hebrew
    > block in the BMP, are composed Hebrew points which I
    > plan to go on using. And I expect everyone else to go
    > on using them also, all Hebraists. We think they are
    > needed for 'text representation' of shin and sin.

    If you're referring to the Alphabetic Presentation Forms block (FBxx),
    then I would say to use them when specifically required for
    compatibility with a legacy implementation, but not otherwise. Note that
    there are many implementations that do not use those characters (and in
    particular FB2A or FB2B). Nor is it necessary to use the precomposed
    representations of shin and sin (FB2A and FB2B) for adequate text
    representation. Note especially that the normalized representations for
    shin and sin, *including NFC,* do not use FB2A or FB2B.

    Peter Constable