Re: OpenType not for Open Communication?

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 08:28:10 CST

    Michael Everson scripsit:

    > >I think it's more accurate to say that you need to find a way to
    > >compensate the font developer for his effort; this need not involve
    > >money.
    > >I, for example, create programs and give them to people for a reward I
    > >consider sufficient; professionally, I write bespoke software which is
    > >not useful to anyone but my employer; some 90% of all software written
    > >is in this class.
    >
    > Read: "my employer pays me to make software".

    Yes, of course; I thought that was implicit. My point is that not all
    the software made is paid for, not by a long chalk, and most of what is
    made is not sold to anyone. Neither of these things is true of fonts
    in any but the most trivial ways -- yet.

    --
    John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com
    han mathon ne chae, a han noston ne 'wilith.  --Galadriel, LOTR:FOTR