Re: Roadmapped scripts

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 16:39:50 CST

    On 09/12/2004 20:16, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >Peter Kirk noted:

    >>There is no mention in the Roadmap of Egyptian Hieratic and Demotic. Is
    >>the intention to unify these with Egyptian Hieroglyphic?
    >>

    >We'll wait for more input on this from Egyptologists. At this
    >point it is proving difficult enough simply to move forward on
    >the fairly obvious set of basic Egyptian hieroglyphs needed
    >for the Gardner set and a few Gardner additions. That set
    >missed Unicode 4.0 and now the Unicode 5.0 in the works. One
    >can only hope that someone will seriously champion them for
    >an as-yet unplanned Unicode 6.0 some years hence.

    Thank you, Ken. I am working on some ideas which might bring more input
    on Egyptian and other ancient scripts. But I didn't want to waste time
    e.g. on scripts for which a decision has already been taken not to
    encode them.

    >>Finally, another historic script not yet roadmapped is the recently
    >>rediscovered Caucasian Albanian. See
    >>http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~wschulze/Cauc_alb.htm and
    >>

    >This is worth further investigation. If anyone wishes to
    >provide an analysis to clarify the status of this, that
    >would be great.

    I will see if I can find anything. This seems to be a simple script, but
    still not a very well attested one.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)