Re: US-ASCII (was: Re: Invalid UTF-8 sequences)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 14:50:08 CST

    Tim Greenwood asked:

    > > ... a perfectly normal linguistic process of
    > > attributive disambiguation of a term which had grown ambiguous
    > > in usage.
    >
    > Is that like the 'Please RSVP' that I see all too often? Or should
    > that not be excused?

    *grins* Well, technically, that is not a case of attributive
    disambiguation, but rather ignorant redundancy.

    On the other hand, for many English speakers, "RSVP" is simply
    learned as an unanalyzed verb, pronounced "aressveepee", meaning
    "send a response to this message". And to castigate such speakers
    for politely prepending a "please" to that verb is a little
    too much, don't you think?

    --Ken