Re: Simplified Chinese radical set in Unihan

From: Tom Emerson (tree@basistech.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 16:17:17 CST

    John H. Jenkins writes:
    > As you say, the main problem is that there are so many different
    > possible sets. Some will be proprietary, which would limit their
    [...]

    IMHO the CASS radical set would be the one to use for this. It has the
    support of a major national body and is used in several dictionaries,
    including Xiandai Hanyu Cidian and John DeFrancis' ABC Dictionary.

    I expect too that generating a CASS radical index could be done
    automatically using the kRSKangXi field in Unihan and the mapping
    table between CASS and KangXi radical numbers in DeFrancis - kRSCASS
    would make sense.

    Are all of the CASS radicals themselves encoded in Unicode?

        -tree

    Software Architect                                 http://www.basistech.com