Re: Character disunification

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 14:13:34 CST

    On 21/12/2004 16:48, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

    > (Actually, the unification of yerah-ben-yomo and atnah hafukh may
    > actually be older than U/V and I/J. Books were printed with U/V and
    > I/J not distinguished for quite a long time, certainly into the 17th
    > century (viz. Shakespeare's First Folio, for a famous example), but
    > the cantillations were conflated in quite early printings of the
    > Bible--though not necessarily the earliest.)

    The I/J unification is in fact still not complete, in some langauges. In
    Italy, consonantal J is also often written in I, e.g. the same town is
    known as Iesi and Jesi - at least it was in the 1980s. In Germany the
    capital J shape is still used for the I sound, even on road signs seen
    in the last couple of years.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)