Re: ISO 10646 compliance and EU law

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Dec 23 2004 - 18:50:29 CST

    Elaine Keown <k underscore isoetc at yahoo dot com> wrote:

    > A reliable friend told me that compliance with ISO
    > 10646 is now part of the legal structure of the EU
    > (European Union).
    >
    > He thought that it is illegal under certain
    > circumstances to sell non-ISO 10646-compliant software
    > in the EU.
    >
    > That is, if I develop Hebrew/Castilian software which
    > uses custom combining classes or other deviations from
    > Unicode Hebrew, this software cannot be sold in Spain
    > (in EU since 1986).

    I would be surprised if it were "illegal" in the same sense that it is
    illegal to sell non-GB 18030-complaint software in China. And if there
    is such a law, it probably has more to do with the coded character set
    itself than with things like combining classes. Remember that many
    Unicode features that go beyond the characters themselves are not part
    of ISO/IEC 10646.

    But then again, I'm neither a lawyer nor a European, so this opinion is
    worth about as much as the paper it's written on.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/