Re: ISO 10646 compliance and EU law

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 07:51:19 CST

    Kenneth Whistler wrote at 3:40 PM on Tuesday, January 4, 2005:

    >In the case of Canaanite and Modern
    >Square Hebrew, well, you can set up a nice one-to-one mapping
    >of 22 letters and hack away with your fonts.

    This is not "hack[ing] away with your fonts"; it is precisely the sort of
    thing for which fonts exist - glyphic variation. Your use of the phrase
    here betrays either your prejudice or your misunderstanding of the situation.

    By the way, I am puzzled by all the bytes spilled on this topic. The
    concept is very simple - Unicode is a value-added superset of ISO 10646
    and if you do Unicode right, you are, by definition, doing ISO 10646 right.

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project