BrdaRten precomposed Tibetan character set (was Re: ISO 10646 compliance and EU law )

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 05:24:48 CST

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:40:28 +0000, Peter Kirk wrote:

    > It is surely possible for Unicode, within its stability policy, to add
    > new precomposed characters with canonical decompositions if these are
    > also defined as composition exceptions, alongside existing Hebrew,
    > Arabic etc presentation forms which are composition exceptions. The UTC
    > might be reluctant to do so, but if it comes under strong pressure to do
    > this from the Chinese standards body through WG2, I see no compelling
    > reason why the UTC should refuse this. There is nothing in the stability
    > policy to force it to refuse new presentation forms of this kind.

    This is nothing to do with Unicode; as far as I know China has made no
    representation to the UTC, so Unicode is under no pressure to add China's
    precomposed Tibetan characters. China's requests to add a BrdaRten block of
    precomposed Tibetan characters has been made through WG2, and has been
    consistently rejected by WG2. China may be an important player, but it cannot
    force through a proposal that is opposed by *all other* national bodies on WG2
    -- and for a good reason, accepting the precomposed Tibetan characters would
    completely break the Unicode Tibetan encoding model, and cause complete chaos
    for systems processing Unicode Tibetan text. If WG2 did vote to accept China's
    huge set of precomposed characters (many thousands of them), then Unicode would
    of course have to follow suite, but given the overwhelming opposition in WG2 I
    do not think that this will ever happen.

    Andrew