Egyptian Hieroglyphs PUA implementation

From: saqqara (saqqara@csi.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 11:17:21 CST

    The process of including Egyptian Hieroglyphs in the Unicode standard is unlikely to begin in earnest for some time as I understand the current situation.

    In the meantime, I have a requirement for a Private Use Area (PUA) mapping for use with software, fonts and texts. This needs to be more comprehensive than the basic Gardiner list reproduced in N1944 'Basic Egyptian Hieroglyphics' but need not attempt a full treatment of the Hieroglyphica (1993) list also given in N1944.

    I have no wish to encourage proliferation of alternative PUA codings so would like to hear from anyone who has already done work in this area or has an interest in being involved in forming an initial specification.

    Thank you
    Bob Richmond
    Saqqara Technology
    www.gameset.com