Re: 32'nd bit & UTF-8

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 18:09:33 CST

    On 2005/01/18 21:28, Jon Hanna at jon@hackcraft.net wrote:

    > 32 bits is the natural computer
    >> alignment, so that
    >> is what one is stuck with.
    >
    > No it's not. 32 bits is the natural alignment on 32bit processors. That is
    > neither a reasonable baseline of lowest-common-denominator tech, nor the
    > state of the art, it's just one point in the stream of computer history.

    You probably mean memory bus word alignment here, whereas I, of course,
    speak about alignment in a wider sense. (Note that memory bus and CPU word
    sizes need not be equal.) For example, I do not think C99 support a 21-bit
    integral type, but there is support for a 32-bit integral type I think, and
    it will be 32-bit regardless of memory bus word size.

      Hans Aberg