RE: Subject: Re: 32'nd bit & UTF-8

From: Oliver Christ (oli@trados.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 12:18:45 CST

    > UTF-8 BOM's seem pointless.

    On the very contrary. It's most helpful to determine a text file's
    encoding. Without the UTF8 BOM it's hard to tell whether a file is
    encoded in some ISO or whatever encoding/codepage or is already UTF8.
    I'm grateful every day that .Net by default prefixes UTF8-encoded text
    files with a UTF8 BOM, and IMO the UTF8 BOM should be part of the
    standard or at least be generally applied best practice. It simplifies
    at least part of the problem if you have to deal with thousands of files
    (or char strings [such as file names ;-) ], for that matter) of which
    you don't know the encoding.

    I agree that "byte order" is misleading in the case of UTF8 but in
    practice it's a blessing.

    Cheers, Oli