Re: Subject: Re: 32'nd bit & UTF-8

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 18:48:44 CST

    On 2005/01/19 21:34, Lars Kristan at lars.kristan@hermes.si wrote:

    > Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
    >> Fortunately I have never met a Unix program which used a UTF-8 BOM,
    >> so I can mostly ignore the issue, except that text files coming from
    >> Windows may have that annoying thing at the beginning which must be
    >> stripped.
    >
    > Much like the annoying CRLF sequences. Which about tells you where to solve
    > it. In the ftp's text mode. Or wherever you solve the CRLF problem after
    > transferring the files in some other way.
    >
    > Notice that Notepad still doesn't handle files with just LF's. Notepad doesn't
    > give a damn about UNIX.

    So it is clear that MS somehow has tricked Unicode to adapt an inhouse file
    format as part of the UTF-8 encoding, in the expense on other platforms.
    Unicode might loose prestige here, favoring one platform over all others.

    I think the correct solution is that MS looks over its software, to ensure
    that files transferred off that platform get a distributed format.

      Hans Aberg