Re: Subject: Re: 32'nd bit & UTF-8

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 18:48:54 CST

    On 2005/01/19 23:57, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk at qrczak@knm.org.pl wrote:

    > UTF-16 is used inside Java, inside some databases, and inside some
    > library APIs (e.g. Qt). I have *never* met a UTF-16-encoded standalone
    > file, while UTF-8 is common and becomes more and more common today.

    Whereas UTF-16 might have been used widely in some quarters up today, my
    impression is that this is more of a legacy thing, and UTF-8 and UTF-32 will
    eventually become the only modern formats in use. In the past, one
    originally used 16-bits integral types because one thought Unicode would not
    exceed 2^16 numbers. But when it is clear it does not suffice, there is no
    point using it in new software, except for legacy. UTF-32 will be used for
    speed, and UTF-8 for compatibility with ASCII and solving the endian issue.

      Hans Aberg