Re: [africa] Re: The Yoruba under-diacritic

From: Jörg Knappen (knappen@uni-mainz.de)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 12:03:12 CST

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Donald Z. Osborn wrote:

    > Using the combining vertical line below U+0329, which seems to be in the
    > On another level, it might handicap efforts at unified/standardized Nigerian
    > usage of dot-under (mainly precomposed) characters. Some other languages
    > notably Igbo have similar diacritics, but appearing uniquely (?) as dots. I may
    > be the only one bringing this kind of issue up, but if you look at current
    > pan-Nigerian software efforts that seek to serve a multilingual market (Konyin,
    > Paradigm, to name two small commercial ones), they utilize dot-under
    > diacritics.

    I came essentially to the same conclusion while creating the fc fonts for
    use with the LaTeX2e system: Use dot below consistently. Alltho LaTeX has
    no problems to use other diacritics as well since one can combine
    diacritics and base letters coming from different fonts with TeX and
    LaTeX.

    --J"org Knappen