Re: IDN problem.... :(

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 06:28:31 CST

    On 11/02/2005 11:04, Arcane Jill wrote:

    > Here's another idea ... the ultimate spoof-proof browser.
    >
    > ... (I'd buy one, but they probably wouldn't sell well to the general
    > public).

    I wouldn't buy anything which required me to retype URLs like
    (quoted from a recent posting) or longer. Bear in mind that for total
    security this would need to apply to every hyperlink within a web page.
    This would destroy the web - or just destroy the product that tries to
    implement it. It's a bit like solving the airline security problem by
    grounding all the aeroplanes.

    Actually I suppose this could be made a bit more acceptable by requiring
    only that the domain part of the URL be retyped and only when moving to
    a new domain not already accessed during this session. But even that
    would be annoying enough to kill the product. Much more likely to sell
    would be a product which does not support IDNs but only ASCII-only
    domain names and the ASCII synonyms of IDNs. In fact one such product is
    still the market leader, and perhaps that is why Microsoft is not
    rushing to support IDNs.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)