Re: IDN problem.... :(

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 17:58:58 CST

    Doug Ewell a écrit :

    >My question is, suppose I *want* to visit русский.com? Perhaps my
    >browser should alert me, but it must not prevent me from visiting the
    >site.

     I wonder whether the browser should alert the user if he has mentioned
    in his (HTTP) language preferences that, in practice, he does
    understand Russian (in this case). Using the Locale is too restrictive
    (only one locale at the time). Of course, a new set of Browser
    parameters could be supplied "script preferences", but is it really useful ?

    In my mind, mixed scripts are suspicious (Basic Latin needed for the
    ".com" and such is IMO script-neutral), but unmixed scripts (even
    foreign) are perfectly okay if the user has mentioned that he can read a
    language using that script. What could be needed then is some logic to
    identify the scripts used in the domain name and link them to languages.

    P. A.