Re: IDN problem.... :(

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 16:56:03 CST

    D. Starner <shalesller at writeme dot com> wrote:

    >> But it can work "both ways". Someone could spoof a brand-new Cherokee
    >> banking site, ᏣᎳᎩ.com, with GWУ.com. Perhaps "Domain name is not in
    >> the script used by your computer operating system."
    >
    > And how many Cherokee are actually using an OS translated into
    > Cherokee? I doubt there is such a thing, and have seen no efforts on
    > Linux i18n lists to start it.

    Curtis's point may have been that non-Latin letters can be spoofed with
    Latin letters, not merely the other way around as we usually think of
    it.

    For a more realistic example, imagine a hypothetical Russian site,
    русский.com. Now imagine any or all of the first four letters replaced
    with Latin p or y or c.

    My question is, suppose I *want* to visit русский.com? Perhaps my
    browser should alert me, but it must not prevent me from visiting the
    site.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/