Re[2]: IDN problem.... :(

From: Alexander Savenkov (savenkov@xmlhack.ru)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 14:26:19 CST

    Hello,

    on 2005-02-12T01:56:03+03:00 Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > For a more realistic example, imagine a hypothetical Russian site,
    > ðóññêèé.com. Now imagine any or all of the first four letters replaced
    > with Latin p or y or c.

    > My question is, suppose I *want* to visit ðóññêèé.com? Perhaps my
    > browser should alert me, but it must not prevent me from visiting the
    > site.

    For another realistic example, imagine a hypothetical Russian site,
    XML-äîêóìåíòû.com (which means XML documents). Now, the "XML" string
    is obviously in Latin script. No spoofing intended.

    Suppose I *want* to visit XML-äîêóìåíòû.com (which is not unlikely).
    My browser should *not* alert me. Never.

    The only solution to this seems to be for the registrar to check each
    new domain name by hand (not necessarily with mixed scripts).

    Alexander

    --
      Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/
      savenkov@xmlhack.ru             http://www.xmlhack.ru/authors/croll/