Re: IDN problem.... :(

From: Timothy Partridge (timpart@perdix.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 17:46:27 CST

    Neil Harris recently said:

    > But why would anyone, want to register that half-Latin, half-Cyrillic
    > mess of a broken label, when the all-Cyrillic label would make more
    > sense to register, unless they had a dubious motive for doing so? And,
    > if the registrars actually played by the _existing_ IANA rules, none of
    > them would let it be registered in any case.

    Some people might want to register mixed script URLs though. Take a look at
    http://www.numerica.biz . They use a (shrunk) capital sigma instead of an e
    in their logo.

    The text processing system TeX uses greek letters in its name, but very few
    web pages spell it using them.

    Might some companies want to put foreign words into URLs to make them look exotic?

       Tim

    --
    Tim Partridge. Any opinions expressed are mine only and not those of my employer