Kurdish Q: (was Re: IDN problem.... :()

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 18:10:46 CST

    > "Antoine Leca" writes:
    > >
    > > On Saturday, February 12th, 2005 22:14Z Adam Twardoch va escriure:
    > > >
    > > > Also, if the user is proposed to look at the URL "IRAQ.COM" and is
    > > > offered to choose between the Kurdish Q and the English Q, some may
    > > > choose the first one for obvious reasons.
    > >
    > > I do not understand your point.
    > >
    > > IRAQ.COM (all Latin letters) seems to me something logical. IRA[].COM (with
    > > a Cyrillic/Kurdish Q instead) seems to me an obvious case of phishing,
    >
    > It's obvious to you, who is familar with writing scripts and Unicode, that
    > the q in Iraq shouldn't be a Kurdish Q. But if you ask random people whether
    > the Q in Iraq should be Latin or Kurdish, they might reasonably wonder what
    > Latin has to do with Iraq and pick the Kurdish Q.

    Why this "IDN problem" thread has morphed into another
    Kurdish-Q-from-hell thread escapes me, but...

    If you ask people stupid, leading questions, you are likely to
    get the wrong answer, as intended.

    The Cyrillic script is not used by Kurds in Iraq. They use the
    Arabic script. And in *that* script, the "Kurdish Q" is
    qaf (U+0642).

    Everybody please familiarize yourself with:

    http://www.omniglot.com/writing/kurdish.htm

    Then, if you want to carry on further about the case for or
    against encoding a Cyrillic letter qu for the Cyrillic orthography
    for Kurdish (in the former Soviet Union and obsolete), then
    please come back here with an appropriately titled thread,
    instead of burying this issue in all the discussion about IDN.

    --Ken