Re: IDN Security

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 08:52:11 CST

    Neil Harris wrote:

    > Peter Kirk wrote:
    >
    >> On 15/02/2005 00:55, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

    >>> The dingbats, obviously, are going to be an interesting battleground
    >>> of domain buyers...
    >>

    >> Those trying to use dingbats as a kind of corporate logo IDN should
    >> be warned that glyphs are not standardised. I once (for fun) made a
    >> font for a Mac with a rotten apple core glyph (complete with worm)
    >> for the apple character! ;-)
    >>

    > Having dingbats, character graphics, math characters and so on would
    > be a disastrous thing to do.

    Too late. There is already a ☻.com I believe (with a website), and
    holding records for ✡.com and ☯.com and ☮.com and ☀.com and probably a
    whole lot of others (and that's just single-symbol cases). 卐.com used
    to point to the "swastika" entry at symbols.com; now it's apparently a
    site dealing with various Eastern meanings of the symbol. Then again,
    that isn't a "miscellaneous symbol"; at that codepoint it's an ordinary
    CJK glyph.

    What should be done with already-registered cases of symbols you would
    blacklist?

    ~mark