Re: IDN problem.... :(

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@vanderpoel.org)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 17:04:50 CST

    Gary,

    Thank you for the link. In that document, I find:

    "Russian: Unicode Code Points U+002D, U+0030 through U+0039,
    U+0400 through U+04FF, U+0500 through U+052F"

    I'm wondering how it was possible for someone to register the spoofed
    paypal.com domain name that kicked off this whole discussion. Of course,
    there are many registrars and they may not all have the necessary
    infrastructure to filter out illegal domain names, but in the RRP
    protocol (Registry Registrar Protocol), the registrar asks the registry
    (that would be VeriSign for .com) whether the domain name has already
    been registered.

    At that point, wouldn't VeriSign be able to say "Sorry, that one's
    already taken" even though it isn't? I.e. this would be one way to
    filter out illegal domain names at the registry level.

    Erik