Re: IDN Security

From: Simon Montagu (smontagu@smontagu.org)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 17:17:35 CST

    GERESH seems an even more likely candidate than GERSHAYIM to me, because
    it's not uncommon in proper names. There is a tendency for the GERSHAYIM
    to fall out of use as abbreviations become more commonly accepted as
    words in their own right, e.g. תפו״ז, the Hebrew for orange, which is
    originally an abbreviation for תפוח זהב but today almost always written
    without GERSHAYIM.

    GERESH on the other hand, when used as a modifier for letters like ג׳ ז׳
    or צ׳, would cause a change in pronounciation if it were omitted, so I
    would expect www.חבד.org.il to be a more acceptable substitute for
    www.חב״ד.org.il than www.זבוטינסקי.org for www.ז׳בוטינסקי.org