Re: 03F3 j Greek Letter yot (was Re: IDN problem.... :( )

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 18:28:15 CST

    Peter Kirk a écrit :

    >>> Interesting question. I wonder if there a lot more unicameral
    >>> letters in bicameral scripts...
    >>

    >> I have discovered palochka to have regular case in handwriting.
    >>
    >> I think the default state is "casing" apart from letters where it
    >> really isn't possible or sensible to try to make casing letterforms
    >> for them. Why? Because evidence shows, again and again, people
    >> innovate case where it wasn't there originally.

    Well, you know my opinion : the best people to decide what is sensible,
    of course, are the people using these scripts (more delicate for dead
    scripts). I don't think letters should be invented before the users of
    the script do so and we then go through the normal process (real need, a
    single author's idiosyncratic style, potential impact on legacy, etc.)

    > You have also shown casing in an apostrophe-like letter used in
    > Egyptian transliteration.
    >
    > So are we likely to see proposals for lower case palochka, upper case
    > sharp S etc? I think a proposal for the latter has been presented to
    > WG2, but what happened to it?

    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2888.pdf

    (Don't know)

    P. A.