Re: Uppercase variant of U+00DF LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S ( "German sharp s", "ß" )

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 17:53:11 CST

    On 16/02/2005 22:50, Asmus Freytag wrote:

    > Changing the case mapping for U+00DF "ß" is not possible -
    > particularly since the transformation U+00DF "ß" -> "SS" is in fact
    > officially correct - despite the fact that Andreas and Karl can point
    > to many instances where it is not used or not desired.
    >
    > Adding a new character, like the one that Andreas proposed, to the
    > standard in the face of well established case mapping from sharp-s to
    > SS would result in major inconsistencies.

    I note that there is an established mechanism for non-standard case
    mappings in Latin script, and associated with it two characters which do
    not have case pairs in the normal sense. I refer to U+0130 Ä° LATIN
    CAPITAL LETTER I WITH DOT
    ABOVE and U+0131 ı LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS I, and to the special case
    mapping defined for Turkish and Azerbaijani. Since this is possible, it
    would also presumably be possible to define a new character for capital
    U+00DF ß and to go with it a new non-standard case mapping. Given the
    reluctance of the UTC to accept variation sequences, this might be a
    better way to resolve this problem.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)