Re: Uppercase variant of U+00DF LATIN SMA LL LETTER SHARP S ( "German sharp s", "ß" )

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 19:48:37 CST

    At 04:17 PM 2/16/2005, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >On 16/02/2005 22:56, Asmus Freytag wrote:

    >>In that context it's interesting that while Andreas' examples all seemed
    >>to originate from the former East Germany, ...
    >

    >This isn't actually true. For a start, a large number of his examples
    >predate the division of the country, and it was not a geographical
    >division either as several of these are from western areas such as
    >Frankfurt am Main and Munich.

    I looked at this briefly last year, mainly during the discussion at the UTC
    and must have overlooked or not remembered the exceptions - that's why I
    hedged my remark by saying "seemed".

    Note that some of the material he cites is typographically 'avantgarde' in
    a loose sense of that word. Not so much the use of U+00DF in uppercase
    context, but the design of special forms for it. I remember that when
    reading his proposal it struck me that the typography samples appeared
    clustered around times of innovation.

    > As for the more recent examples, it is not surprising if most are from
    > eastern areas as that is where Andreas lives.

    Yes, I noticed that, and apparently it colored my perception.